An official army family and MWR Site

School Support Services


School Support Services provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child & Youth Services (CYS), School Support Services features School Liaison Officers (SLOs), who help schools, installations and Families work together for student achievement.

SLOs are your best support in the area of education, schools and military transitions. SLOs are knowledgeable in current education news and policies. They act as the conduit between the school community – including local public school districts, private schools and home school Families – and the installation.

How do they do it? By

  • Helping schools understand the challenges military Families face
  • Informing parents about local school policies
  • Giving Families information about local schools, graduation requirements, after school programs, youth sponsorship and homeschooling
  • Connecting units and schools through partnership initiatives
  • Conducting workshops to help parents navigate educational transition and advocate for their children
  • Providing an array of resources that benefit military youth and improve school experiences
  • Here is an additional resource for returning back to in-person learning. 

Click on the video below to find out even more about School Liaison Officers (SLO). The Facebook Live event was presented by Military OneSource featuring a panel of School Liaison experts from each Service, explaining the benefits of the School Liaison program!

When Do I Need a SLO?

Getting ready to move:

  • Information about your upcoming duty station and educational options in your new community
  • Connection to a youth sponsor who can answer your child’s questions from a youth’s perspective
  • Assistance with the steps to prepare for your children’s departure from their current schools


Once you arrive:

  • Assistance with school registration and transition
  • Help with questions about compliance and solutions regarding the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
  • Two way communication between the school and parent
  • Connection with homeschool co-ops or support groups


During your assignment:

  • Answers to your questions about schools, homeschooling, special education, scholarships, transitions and more.
  • Parent education opportunities about college and career readiness, preparing for transition and the Interstate Compact 

To ease the transition, contact your SLO as soon as you get orders.

Finding a School

Finding a new school and registering your child can be confusing. 

We can help.

Our SLOs give you information on local schools so you can find the best fit for you and your family.   They can also help you with everything you need to register – and can answer other questions, too. Contact our office and to get more detailed information.

Research-based Characteristics of Quality Schools 

Most schools share fundamental characteristics that prepare students for the future. Research shows that the most effective schools are more alike than they are different. Here is some information about what to look for in quality schools:

Public School Districts of Monterey County and their websites.

Alternative Ed. Options

You can register with a public school, private school, public charter school, correspondence course, virtual school, or you can file an R-4 affidavit with the state.

  • If you file an R-4 affidavit with the CA Dept. of Education, this establishes your homeschool as a private school. You bear responsibility to adhere to all private school laws and maintain records. California mandates that certain subjects such as reading, social studies, math and science be taught when you file the Private School Affidavit.
  • You can enroll in an Independent Study Program through your local school district. The MPUSD program provides curriculum, textbooks, assignments, and grades. Student works independently at home and meets with instructor one hour per week. Students are eligible for MPUSD sports, clubs and after school activities.
  • You can enroll in one of several Home Charter Schools that serve Monterey County.
  • The Community for Accredited Online Schools

Monterey County Home Charter School K-12*
901 Blanco Circle - P.O. Box 80981
Salinas, CA 93912-0851
Tel: +1 (831)755-0331

Big Sur Charter School, (Monterey Chapter) K-12*
304 Foam St
Monterey, CA 93940
Tel: +1( 831)324-4573

Ocean Grove Home Charter School K-12*      
1166 Broadway, Suite Q
Placerville, CA 95667
Tel: +1(800)979-4436
Bay View Academy K-5
222 Casa Verde Way (corner of Del Monte Ave)
Monterey, CA 93940
Tel: +1(831)717-4630

International School of Monterey K-8
1720 Yosemite St.
Seaside, CA 93955
Tel: +1 (831)583-2165

Monterey Bay Charter School K-8
1004 David Ave.
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Tel: +1 (831)655-4638

Downloadable information and forms:

Youth Sponsorship
Youth Sponsorship

Does your child have 101 questions about your next duty station? Let a youth sponsor answer them!

Youth sponsors connect with children before arrival at a new duty station, provide them with information about their new communities and answer questions from a youth perspective – while being guided by adults in the CYS youth program and the schools.

Once you arrive, a youth sponsor will meet your child and can arrange community and school tours.

If you're preparing for a PCS move, contact your SLO today to sign up for a youth sponsor.

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find the resources available in your school district. We can also connect you with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office.


Contact our EFMP office for more information.

Additional References & Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a) evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for Families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer. The United State Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services outlines these requirements for State Directors of Special Education. 

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers parent education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to appropriately advocate for their children, proactively supporting personal accountability. Funded by OSEP.

Military OneSource has a range of resources in caring for a family member with special needs: education, health care, legal, financial, points of contact (EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.)

Military Community & Family Policy-Office of Special Needs provides directory of age-specific resources and States at a Glance for state education special education resources and parent resources.

DirectSTEP provides no-cost, Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics such as understanding federal requirements, best practices for behavior management, IDEA eligibility, IEPs and more. Through the eCourses parents and educators learn how to apply education laws in order to obtain positive outcomes associated with critical education issues. Access the course listing and registration page through the links below.

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration

Home School

Home schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.


Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Local Homeschool Support Groups

Monterey Bay Military Homeschoolers (MBMH) is a group of military families who homeschool and living on the Monterey Peninsula. If you are a military family homeschooling in this area, you are welcome to join. To join the email list (where events are posted) go to Monterey Military Home School:

You can also email the yahoo group for more information

To contact the other home school groups, visit Local Home Schools Monterey, CA

Homeschool Q & A

What options are available for homeschooling in California?

  • Private School Affidavit (PSA): The Private School Affidavit may be filed online at the California Department of Education website from October 1st to October 15th of every year. Schools that are created after the filing period should file at the time the school is established. If you need to file your affidavit and cannot do so electronically (or choose not to), you can still file a Statement in Lieu. You bear responsibility to adhere to all private school laws and maintain records. California mandates that certain subjects such as reading, social studies, math and science be taught when you file the Private School Affidavit. Hiring a certified private homeschool tutor also falls under this option (Cal. Educ. Code §§ 33190, 48222, 48224.)

  • Public School Independent Study Program (ISP) or Charter School: If you register with a public school ISP or Charter School, your child is still enrolled in public school but instruction is delivered at home. You are considered a teacher's aide and will be assigned a credentialed teacher to oversee your program. You will need to keep the records required by the program you enroll in. The amount of freedom you have in choosing what to study depends on the program's policies and your assigned teacher. Materials are available on loan. Support systems are offered to varying degrees, depending on the school. Parents are asked to sign a contract agreeing that they will allow their child to be tested. Public programs will not offer religious materials and any religious instruction must be after the recorded school hours. Please see your School Liaison Officer for a list of home charter schools or information on independent study in your area (Cal. Educ. Code § 51745.)

  • Private School Satellite Program: A PSP is a private school which has filed an affidavit. If you enroll in a Private PSP it acts as an administrative umbrella for your family's private school. The private PSP files the Private School Affidavit annually and keeps required records on file such as attendance records, health records, and an outlined course of study for each student. They may also keep track of cumulative files, grades, transcripts, and test results (if any). A small tuition fee will be charged for administrative and paperwork services. When you sign up, you become a teacher in that school. Your name and address do not appear on the affidavit, but the PSP is required to keep a listing of each teacher and his/her qualifications. Some PSPs offer a newsletter and activities like park days and field trips for their members. Some PSPs offer curriculum packages; guidance and requirements vary with each school (Cal. Educ. Code § 48222.)

  • Correspondence and Virtual Schools: K-12 Online schools can be public or private depending on the route you choose. The programs work much like Options 2 and 3, however the teacher is online and they keep all the school records. Amount of freedom and support varies on the program and if it is public or private. The California Virtual Academy (CAVA) is one of the largest public (tuition-free) virtual schools in California.


Note: There are private, Out-of-State Independent Study Correspondence Programs and curriculum. Unless the school maintains an office in the state of California and files the Private School Affidavit (R4 Form), enrolling in their program WILL NOT satisfy the legal requirements for public school exemption. It's okay to enroll in an out-of-state ISP to get and use the curriculum, but it will not cover you legally unless the school complies with California law. If it has not filed an affidavit, then you must either enroll in a Private ISP established in California, or establish your own private school and file the R4 Affidavit yourself (Cal. Educ. Code § 51745; Private: Cal Educ. Code § 48222.)

Can I begin homeschooling mid-year?
Under California state law, parents are permitted to begin homeschooling mid-year. Parents should be cautioned however, that pulling your child out of the classroom to homeschool mid-year can be difficult and stressful. Transitioning from public school to homeschooling involves several different aspects of planning to make the process as smooth as possible.

Is my child required to follow the California State Standards?
Private Schools are not required to follow the state curriculum standards and parents who file an R4 Affidavit will have the most freedom in curriculum. All public schools including home charter schools are required to follow the state curriculum standards to the minimum. Parents have the option of course to teach above and beyond the state standards.

Can our family take a vacation when we want during the school year?
This will vary depending on what option you choose. Public Charter Schools and Online schools follow school calendars and have timelines for state testing requirements. Some Independent Study Programs and Home Charter Schools will allow flexibility and student work to be faxed or emailed while on vacation or visits and will work around your family’s needs. Private homeschool instruction has the most flexibility.

Does my child have to take the STAR tests?
STAR testing is administered by all California public schools, including home charter schools, however, parents have the right to excuse their children from some or all of the STAR tests by providing written notice to school officials. Private schools do not have to administer the test, including home private schools (Cal. Educ Code 60615).

How many hours is my child required to attend to their studies?
Three hours, 175 days a calendar year is the minimum requirement for California, however, many public home charter schools require at least four hours of instruction. Religious instruction does not count toward the minimum hours. (Cal. Educ Code 48224).

Can my child participate in my neighborhood school sports and activities?
Your child must be enrolled in an independent study program through their zoned school district to be eligible to participate in sports for that school. Many families enrolled in home charter schools join sports or participate in sports offered by other community programs. The Army offers a wide variety of social and sports activities though Child and Youth Programs. Military families should contact their School Liaison Officer or Child and Youth Programs office to find out more about how to get their child involved.

How can I find other homeschool families?
There are many homeschool support groups in California, including military homeschool groups. A great website to find other homeschoolers is:

Will homeschooling my child affect their admission to college?
Generally no, but it depends on your homeschooling program and rigor of curriculum. Public Charter Schools and Online Correspondence Programs can offer the structure, transcripts and traditional test scores needed to assist students in admission to college. Private homeschooling in highschool requires a more creative approach to college admission. In lieu of traditional high school transcripts, homeschoolers often provide, along with their SAT scores and letters of recommendation, narrative essays or portfolios as part of their admissions package. Some homeschoolers opt to take the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE), the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) Exam, or demonstrate their academic ability at a community college before transferring to a four-year institution.

Are there scholarships available specifically for homeschoolers?
There are many organizations and colleges that offer scholarships and grants for homeschool students. Two great websites with resources:

Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:


Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.


The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All 50 states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year.

If you feel that you have an issue that the Compact can help address talk with your SLO.  The SLO is able to assist by connecting with both the sending and receiving school to assist in resolving the issue.  If it is not possible to resolve the issue locally, the SLO will help you work with the state commission, and if needed, the national office.

Post - Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.


The US Department of Veteran’s Affairs provides information about Military-Specific and Government Academic Support G.I. Bill

The Transferability of Educational Benefits for the Post 9/11 GI Bill are very specific. The Defense Manpower Data Center, through MilConnect will guide you through the transfer process and your eligibility to do so.  Speak with an Education Counselor prior to making this election in order to ensure you understand the benefit.

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service-members, active duty for a period of more than 30 days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service-member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965 (pdf) apply.


Here are some additional web resources to assist you with your child’s education:


Academic Resources: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than 40 core subjects and standardized test preparation.

Homework Support: Army Child Youth & School Services provides Homework Labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center.


Khan Academy:

A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, SAT and more.    


Support/Resilience Resources:

School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.


Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free nonmedical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child, Youth and School Services programs, and in highly impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free nonmedical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, on the phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Ready and Resilient Workshops for youth and educators are offered through the SLO and Youth Center programs. These workshops provide educators and students with the same tools Soldiers receive through their Ready and Resilient training. As Master Resilience Trainers SLOs strive to develop a common language around resilience for educators, youth and their parents.

For information on how to attend a class contact your local SLO.


College and Career Readiness Resources:

College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in postsecondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework. These links have tools that will help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:


Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) provides STEM opportunities for military connected youth. The website provides information about AEOP programs available to youth, scholarship opportunities, news, and ways to get involved. Scholarship Finder provides a search engine to help you find money for your child’s higher education needs. Search over 1000 scholarships intended for military youth. They also have a Military Scholarship Handbook.

School Support Services Scholarship Database Listing of crowd sourced scholarships for military connected youth. Scholarships are listed in alphabetical order and provide information on deadlines and qualifications.


 Financial Aid

Provides a description of federal student aid programs from the U.S. Dept. of Education  and how to apply for them.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply for federally funded financial assistance for education beyond high school.

Get Ready for College - College Planning, Financial Aid



Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Unique Military Child Identifier? Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and method of collection vary from state to state.

Impact Aid

Many local school districts across the United States include within their boundaries parcels of land that are owned by the Federal Government.  They must provide a quality education to the children living on the Indian and other Federal lands while sometimes operating with less local revenue than is available to other school districts, because the Federal property is exempt from local property taxes. 

Congress has provided financial assistance to these local school districts through the Impact Aid Program. Each year Military members and Federal employees complete a Survey Form. The amount of Impact Aid – or federal assistance –received is determined by the number of eligible parents/guardians who complete the survey form. It partially compensates school districts affected by federal activity for local tax losses resulting from tax-free federal installations.

Impact Aid Fact Sheet (we will provide a hand out to link to)

Impact Aid Website

Non-DoD School Program (NDSP)

At overseas/international locations where there is not a Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) school, NDSP supports a variety of options for your children, ranging from public or private schools to homeschool programs.  NDSP has a team of education specialists who are available to provide transition and educational support and coordination for all students, including those with special needs. Sponsors are encouraged contact the NDSP as soon as possible for specific school information. 


Phone Number +1 (571)372-5863 or +1 (571)372-1897

School Search Engines

Petersons College Search

Vocational School Searches

Big Future

Accredited Schools Online -guide to online education with school search feature

Community College Review -review and search feature

On Post Colleges

(All options not available in all locations-visit your installation Education Center for more information and local options)

University of Maryland

Central Texas

University of Phoenix

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

University of Oklahoma (OU)

Tuition Free Universities in Germany

 As of October 2014, all Universities in Germany will not charge any tuition fees for undergraduate studies for all students including international students. In some Federal States, Universities will charge a semester contribution (about 50 euros) and/or administration fees (about 50 euros). This tuition fee structure can change in the future, you should check this page for updated information on tuition fees in different federal states in Germany.

More more information: Deutsches Studentwerk

See the list of German Universities and Colleges.

Also see the list of Scholarships in Germany for International Students


Find a Local Military Family Life Counselor (MFLCs) Near You

Elementary Schools

  • Monte Vista (251 Soledad Dr., Monterey, CA 93940, Phone: 831-392-3890)

Middle Schools

Contact your School Liaison Officer for more information.

More Child & Youth Services


Porter Youth Center Part Day Preschool Programs

Dec 4 8:30 am - 11:30 am

Play Group

Dec 5 9:30 am - 10:30 am

Walk and Talk through OMC


Dec 5 10 am

Walk and Talk through OMC


Dec 5 10 am

Military Lunch Club

Dec 7

Teen Program Friday Nights

Dec 8 6 pm - 10 pm

Holiday Fun Run

Dec 9 9:30 am

Outbound Departure Airport Shuttle Bus Transportation- San Jose Airport & San Francisco International Airport

Dec 20 6 am - 6 am

Inbound Return Airport Shuttle Bus Transportation- San Francisco International Airport

Jan 2 9 am - 9 am

Inbound Return Airport Shuttle Bus Transportation- San Jose Airport

Jan 2 10:30 am - 10:30 am